Thursday, March 26, 2015

Do You Pin?

Do you keep scrap books? I've been filling up mine for a few of years now and their number has swelled to 7, which includes a very fat juicy one about double the size of the others! 
It's a joy to look back through them when I need inspiration, or just to while away a half-hour with a cuppa.  
In my mind, they are the forerunner to Pinterest! I admit to being a Pinterest addict/obsessive and prefer to spend my switch-off time pinning, to watching TV. 
I always thought I was quite selective about what I pinned, being sure that the image truly reflected the board I intended to add it to. But seeing that I've now clocked-up over 10,000 pins on some 62 boards, maybe I'm not as discriminating as I thought! :)
My criteria when I find an image I love, is usually:
Do I love it? - Am I likely to tire of it?
Is the image of a good size (these poor peepers of mine aren't what they once were! ;-))
I don't want it if its heavily watermarked. 
I'm not keen on too much of a description written underneath either. 
Does it link back to an original source (not always possible, but I try my best - So, if ever I have a pin that belongs to you and I've not credited it as such, I'm always happy to add the link back to you - just let me know!)
source
For instance, this is one of my most popular pins - it's a photo I took for my blog of our kitchen. It got lifted from my blog at one time and now doesn't link back to me for the photo credit on Pinterest.
Do you go through any thought processes before pinning a pic? (Ha! maybe I'm just a bit strange like that?)


source
I regularly look through my boards to enjoy all that I've collected. If a photo no longer gives me joy, then I delete it. It's good to have a clear-out now and then - Occasionally I find a photo I've added twice to the same board, so one of them also get the boot!
 

source
So, do you pin? 
I understand that Pinterest now ask visitors to their site to become members, before all that is shared on-line becomes available to them. As a visual person, I wouldn't be without my Pinterest boards. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys looking at beautiful photographs, o
r use it to collect recipes or tips and 'how-to's.  Pinning them all in one place makes them easy to access and also to build up a community of like-minded followers. 

source
And it's perfect if you need to advertise your small business, or if you just want to share pictures that you've taken.

What ever your reasons - "Happy Pinning!"
Niki x

10 comments:

  1. I too have several scrapbooks of inspiration. They are very fun to go through. And then I don't have tons of magazines around the house;)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also keep scrapbooks of favourite cuttings from magazines..and now slowly getting into Pinterest... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mainly use Pinterest when I have a project and want to collect ideas. It can be addictive though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use pinterest very often, but when I do, I go through the exact same thought process as you!! I also love looking back through my boards at all the pictures, and deleting ones I no longer love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, this is your daughter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every once in awhile I go through the many scrapbooks I made when I was younger. I explained to my granddaughter just the other day that this is what we did before Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Niki,
    Oh yes i pin and i scrapbook too no all thanks to seeing your lovely scrap books on your blog,it is so lovely to turn page after page and like everything,i am still sticking i have folders of pictures all ready from years of magazine collecting...this could all well be put on one side as a little bird tells me your 'Living With Nostaglia' book is to be delivered today,i can't wait! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Niki,
    Fortunately I've left my Pinterest addiction phase behind and now only pin occasionally, but as you say, it is so nice to scroll through all your favourite images collected together in one place every once in a while, and it really does boost the creativity juices. I don't keep scrapbooks as such, but I do have a box where I keep all my favourite pages from magazines. I find I need a good dose of visual stimulation on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Niki, This is such a timely post as my daughter has been telling me that I will love Pinterest and ought to use it for my books. perhaps I'll be brave and have a try... Jane xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx