Sunday, December 15, 2013

Make it Special!


I found this c1980's book this week. Inside are some fabulous photos that capture the mood of Christmases past...


1930's Santa Claus 



London's 'slum children' experience Christmas at the Salvation Army HQ. 

During WWII, Christmas had to be a creative time...With 'Make Do and Mend' being encouraged by every household, toys were handmade from bits and pieces that would otherwise have been thrown away...
At my shop at the moment, I have several of these c1930's/40's doll's house arm chairs and sofas made from matchboxes, covered in scraps of fabric...
A classic toy of the era and a wonderful record of our social history of that time...I love that these have survived and were surely treasured and enjoyed by every little girl who received them during the war years.
I have similar instructions on how to make them in these two books from the 30's.

Will it be the handmade items of today that will be remembered in the future?
I do hope so...
Happy crafting!
Niki x

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:54 pm

    Hi Niki, lovely thought provoking words as usual. I particularly love the scene of the children writing their letters to Santa... such a short list of things too, expectations then were so modest.
    So many of today's little ones ask for so much.
    Bye for now, Frances

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx