Monday, December 19, 2011

Door Decor

Funds are tight for many of us this Christmas, but that doesn't mean that seasonal cheer has to be lacking. I made a wreath for our front door that cost me nothing, but which I had a lot of enjoyment making.

I created the wreath base from fallen silver birch twigs - Our garden has been littered with them since the recent high winds we had. I simply twisted and wound them around each other to create the circle.

I then harvested a few lengths of ivy (It grows like a weed everywhere along our garden's boundary) I also collected a few ivy berries and holly berries for colour.

These were all just pushed in to the twig base. I wanted it to have a simple country look, not too ostentatious, as I don't feel that would be appropriate for this year.

A wired ribbon that I'd saved from a gift was tied in a bow to complete the decoration.

Lots more to show you, but Blogger has messed up my post formatting, so I need to know this is going to upload, before I add more festive posts. (Is anyone else having problems with the old system on Google Chrome?)
Have a great week,
Niki x

15 comments:

  1. Hi Niki, that is stunning and an inspiration. Thanks for helping me to 'have a go'. hope you have a lovely festive time and some peace too. You deserve it. Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niki beautiful as we expect. My Mum uses the birch twigs to start her log burner, she twists a handful into a small bundle and then puts them on with other twigs.
    T x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really pretty Niki, and looked like it was fairly easy to do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the old system Nicki, and I haven't had any problems as yet...

    Love this wreath Niki. Very elegant and understated! Just beautiful :o)

    Have a happy 'last week before Christmas' my dear.
    Take care,
    Love Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful wreath!
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely,love the green ribbon.Love Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all the ingredients, but I usually just use them to make a greens and berries bouquet for the kitchen table. I've never attempted a wreath before. Yours is just lovely... maybe I'll try it.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely wreath, I shall be doing mine on Wednesday, however, the birds have, once again, pinched all the holly berries. I subsitute Iris foetidissima berries which are more orange than red but do a pretty good job.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely and so nice when made from country walks or your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your wreath Niki. I had such fun making mine too, it's such fun going foraging and then creating! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Niki,
    You make everything look so easy! A great wreath!
    June.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:36 pm

    Hi Niki,
    Your wreath looks wonderful and so pretty against the colour of your door,i have to go into the garden and collect some greenery and i might give this a go.
    I just posted our Christmas tree and its covered in roses x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply beautiful....i love this idea..thank you
    nita ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas, Niki! Thanks for all the loveliness throughout the year. MaryC now in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the wreath - if you didn't have silver birch is there anything else you'd use? I bought a wreath from the Range (50% off!). But I am going to make swags this year. Live in the countryside so lots of things to use.

    I've just downloaded Chrome and blogger is working group. I was using IE on a new laptop and nightmare - had to keep logging in whenever i wanted to do anything, leave comments etc.

    Look forward to more posts. Wehave a linky party 1st Jan - trying hard to get them know so join in if interested.

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx