Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Monkey Business

I wasn't feeling all that great on Saturday, so wasn't able to open my shop.

The rest of the weekend was pretty good though!
My lovely hubby offered to take me away - Not needing to be asked twice, we quickly grabbed a few clothes, threw them into a suitcase and headed off to Dorset.

We went via a couple of flea markets, where I found a few treasures...

Which included this fabulously ruffled 50's bed jacket, made from finest bri-nylon! ;-))

We wound up in the centre of Dorchester, where we were lucky to be able to book a nights stay in the Kings Arms, after only trying one other place - Not bad seeing as its the height of the holiday season.

It was a lovely stay and just what I needed, as I won't be having a weeks holiday this year. (Hubby took our daughter away for a week earlier in July, but I couldn't justify going, as I haven't had the shop open for very long and still need to establish myself in the town...I have a very understanding family, bless 'em! I may close for a week next month though, just to have a break, as its been pretty full-on since January.)
**
The next morning we headed off to Monkey World - Ape Rescue Centre, Nr. Wool, Dorset.
Monkey World assists governments around the world to stop the smuggling of primates from the wild.
At the Centre, refugees of this illegal trade, as well as those that have suffered abuse or neglect, are rehabilitated into natural living groups.
*

There are some heartbreaking stories, but its wonderful to see the apes and monkeys now living a near normal life, albeit in captivity.

Vietta.

Some of my photos where taken through glass, so the reflections caused me a few problems, but hopefully it gives you an idea of some of the beautiful creatures that they have been able to offer refuge to at the center.
*

*

*
*
Later, hubby and I came home via Shaftesbury.

I found a couple of pretty postcards in Leanings
(hey, big spender! ;-))

Then it was time to soak up the stunning view from the top of Gold Hill.

(I have written about this wonderful place in a previous post here and here - Sadly there wasn't time to pop in to see Sue at Dairy House this time, as it was past 5 o'clock when we left - but we did manage to pack in a lot on our mini-holiday!)

Whilst in Shaftesbury this time, we decided to visit the Abbey, which was built in 888AD as a nunnery. In 1539, on the orders of Henry VIII, the Abbey was dissolved and most of the Abbey precinct was destroyed.
*

A modern statue of King Alfred in the herb garden.

*

*

Then there was just time for a Dorset cream tea before King Alfred's Kitchen closed for the evening.

Delicious!
Hope you had a lovely weekend too,
Niki x

13 comments:

  1. Hi Niki,

    I love reading your lovely blog and seeing the pics of your gorgeous shop and finds! Would it be possible to purchase the little elves picture from you, it is so cute!

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you must have been feeling rough to miss a Saturday's trading. Hope your little break helped you get better.
    I love the blue china in the last photo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a wonderful mini holiday. I just returned from a week long holiday in England. We stayed in London and in Tunbridge Wells where we visited Sissinghurst and Scotney castle.
    There were at least 5 charity shops in Tunbridge Wells and I picked up a few treasures. Beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh such lovely things. It is so nice to look at the pictures of your antiques (love the pink china ones) ane the sparkley jewelry (my daughter and I make upcycled jewelry). I had a wonderful friend in Bristol who lost her life from complications from a kidney transplant and i miss her so much.

    If you need any help, I will fly over and shop for you on the weekends!!!

    We are pretty new to the world of blogland. My daughter gave the blog to me as a gift and a big surprise one day. Come and visit, if you would like. We make repurposed jewelry but our blog is all about our lives, our family (and dogs), other art that we do, our home and wonderful estate sale and rummage sale finds.

    http://katsuijewelry.blogspot.com

    Suz (and Kat)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Niki how wonderful it must be to be able to visit those lovely old towns! I would just die of bliss!
    My heat and heart to the people who rescue and care for those sweet monkeys also. I can just not understand how humans can be so heartless and unkind to any of God's creations. I know though in my heart they will pay a price someday and it gives me peace.
    Love the treasures you found, especially the costume jewelery, just gorgeous!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you made the most of your mini-vacation! Quite lovely indeed! I love your photos, makes me want to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little excursion looks lovely, Niki. And as always, the scenery is just breathtaking. I spotted your lemur photos - I love them! We had a local family who ran a wild animal farm near us (rescued animals) and they had a lemur. I just love the lemurs' sweet faces and those bold stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Niki

    So glad you were able to get a 'week' away - and what better county to visit?!!!!

    I've got most of my things back - and they've now found the missing bits!!!

    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. All it took was a quick glance at your photos and I am longing to travel to your country again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful mini break!! Beautiful places to visit - looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post with its chocolate box pretty cottages and monkeys. Hope all is well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A weekend away full of things to lighten your heart. Looks like the weather cooperated, too. I enjoy your posts and photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooohhhhhh that pale blue ruffled bed jacket!!!!!!! My kind of stuff! I'd wear it everyday ;)))
    Hope you're feeling better, what a marvellous weekend. Hope I will be able to do something similar very soon ;))))
    Big hugs, thinking of you often.
    Monicax.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx